Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"nothing works if you don't"

A wise proverb that I am nearly certain I made up all by myself. This blog post goes out to all my fave working people out there, doing what they do and making the world a better place one day at a time. Jobs are a funny thing. You get up out of bed at an ugly hour only to get ready to go sit somewhere alllll day and do what someone tells you to do. Yes, even bosses have someone telling them what to do. The President, people. He is the boss of everyone. Yikes!

Political convictions aside, jobs are serious business. All of my recently graduated friends can attest to this, whether they have become recently employed or are currently participating in the "rat race". After all, you need a fab job to pay for food, sports cars, beach condos, and designer jeans. Not to mention saving up for a new iPhone!! The pressure is on, and I feel their pain. Sort of. I just hope to do something I love someday. Don't get me wrong, I am LOVING my current position as a part time pita roller/ Northgate Vintage lady, but I may have to seek a permanent dream post-grad. Yuck. In the meantime, I will wait patiently for the emerging profession of a Poolside Baby Keeper/Nordstrom's buyer Executive Lady breaks through in the workplace. Keeping my fingers crossed. Enough about my dreams, lets talk about people with real jobs, shall we? We shall.

Remember my bff Audrey? She is currently working for Assett Plus Companies in Houston. If you live in America, she has probably asked you to "like" it on Facebook. I am under the impression that Mr. and Mrs. Assett own all of the apartments in that city and Audrey is in charge of them. She worked her way up this ladder beginning in college at the Cambridge, a fancy shmancy student living place. She put in her time watching the freshman boys play sand volleyball, busting the pot heads and kicking them out, and taking calls in her office from her roommates. Seriously, though... Audrey is one of the hardest working gals that I know! Her best friend of a boss even convinced her into training for a triathlon so that they could get MORE work into the day. I love it, even if she is getting rid of her college pockets while I am not. Keep up the good work, Audra.

Its not all about getting down to business. I believe the children are the future... and so do Peter and MB. Yes, both of my siblings work in the education system and are influencing the next generation of real life people. Maribeth is moving to kindergarden this year and I am pretty sure she is excited about it. I would be too, less math, more naps. Campbell has received a promotion, heyyy. He is going to be the principal at the Garland campus of Vista Academy. We are all pulling for him and hoping that his first year as the youngest principal in the history of the world is a HUGE success. I am hoping to enter this field as well, someday. The Gillis family is full of educators and we often joke about opening our own Academy. I guess we aren't really joking. I am pretty serious about it, actually.


Don't get me wrong, the whole house is not just a bunch of intellectual braniacs. My mom has a much more important job than those two boneheads. She is taking care of the older generation by running a home for the elderly. Traditions Senior Living could not exist without people like Jan to laugh at the residents jokes, listen to their complaints, and kick out the squatters on their property. My mother is a friend to all, especially if you are old. She is the most loving companion any of those people could ask for. Kudos to you, Mom.

(after my mom taught all of her peeps how to Facebook)

What does my friend David do? Besides making me laugh alot, David is a professional musician. The straight laced business suit look is not for everyone, thats why David keeps his hair pretty shaggy. David decided to let everyone know he could sing once we graduated high school and went to college. His band Airplanes has a cd on iTunes- it is called Then Sings My Soul and you should buy it! He is very talented and very cool, I assure you. He has taken his big dreams to NYC and is working for some guy that is going to help him get some BIG connections to become a BIG star. I'm not sure exaclty what he does but thats the gist of it. Heres to being a rockstar and sticking it to the man, one show at a time.

Lets see here... what aspect of the real world have I not covered? I know. Accounting. As I may have mentioned before, my boyfriend Ryan is the smartest person I know (besides my Dad and Deboard). He is a whiz at Math and was awarded the Best/Most Handsome Accounting Intern Award in America this March! We are all so proud of his accomplishment. He will be working for a large accounting firm next fall and I think he is sort of excited about it (even though these people are such slave drivers that they are asking their interns to go to Disney World in August for paid vacation. I swear... some people are real sickos). I love listening to him talk about his smarty pants accounting stuff and look forward to him helping me complete my final math credit in the fall :)


No matter what your J-O-B is, I am proud of you for doing it. Unless you are doing something wrong/illegal.. then I hope you will quit and follow in the footsteps of any of the pre-mentioned persons in this blog. Happy Hump Day to all you work horses!!

bye, say bye.

Whit

3 comments:

  1. Great blog -- could have been better if you mentioned other family members, but I'm not complaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blah blah blah...give me a free pita.

    ReplyDelete